[Freeipa-devel] client-only FreeIPA build

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 09:27:46 UTC 2016

On 23.11.2016 13:53, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
> On (22/11/16 11:25), Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Lukas Slebodnik wrote:

>> Note that the Integration efforts don't really apply. The client-only
>> install is for doing client enrollment and integration can mean lots of
>> things.

>>> Agree about portability
>>>
>>> But upstream spec file needn't have such relicts.
>>> The upstream spec file is pure fedora specific.
>>
>> The upstream spec is what is used to document and verify that the
>> client-only build actually works.
>>
>> I also think it is a worthy goal to maintain.
>>
> Maintaing is not enough. It would be also good to test it.
>
> And maybe it might be much simpler to have separate
> spec file for client only build. Because too many if conditions
> does not improve readability of spec file. But that's up to
> others to decide what would be simpler.

The maintenance cost you mention is the only con I can see.

I think that if we decide to support it, client-only support should be part of
configure machinery. It would enable packagers to simply run
./configure --disable-server && make install
and have the client installed. It would make easy to package it for whatever
distro.

Of course, upstream spec will be a good reference for packaging but IMHO we
should keep separated build & install matters from packaging.

--
Petr^2 Spacek