[Freeipa-devel] NTP in FreeIPA

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Nov 25 15:38:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-11-25 at 10:34 -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 15:05 +0100, Jan Cholasta wrote:

> > > Considering that default config is just fine for normal cases, and given how
> > > poorly integrated it is into FreeIPA, I agree with David. FreeIPA should get
> > > out of configuration management business.
> >
> > +1
>
> Just FYI, when we integrated NTP the plan was to eventually get NTPD
> compiled on the server (and on the client) to generate/check signatures
> on time packets. We never got around to do it, and at some point we
> decided to wait as daemons werre in flux in some distributions and IETF
> had efforts to provide some more standardized way to provide packet
> signatures (we were planning to use the GSS based signature format
> developed by Microsoft and used in AD).
>
> When we get back to signing packets we may have to get back in the
> business of configuring the clients to check in with the right
> servers ...
>
> So I am in 2 minds if we should completely remove it, but I am ok not
> touching it by default for now in ipa-client-install, ie adding a
> --ntp-conf=off|on or some such and default to off.

Forgot to add, the other reason for us to configure NTP was to make sure
servers and clients had the same time. It was very commo back then to
have issues with Virtualized environments.

So ... if we do this (stop configuring NTP) then we MUST (IMO) add some
code to the installer that checks if the server and client agree on the
time (with a few minutes clock skew) and then LOUDLY warn the user if
they do not and suggest they configure NTP properly (and offer them to
enable the option to do it ourselves perhaps).