[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#228][comment] cert-request: allow directoryName in SAN extension

tiran freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 11:28:12 UTC 2016

Title: #228: cert-request: allow directoryName in SAN extension

tiran commented:
"""
I'm on topic and I'm trying to understand your point. Why do you see a relationship between the subject DN of a X.509 and the directoryName general name in SAN X.509v3 extension? It doesn't make sense to me. The subject follows different rules, e.g. a disjunct set of RDN attributes. Attributes like DC, UID etc. are not commonly found in a X.509 cert's subject.

Further more a CA usually imposes some policies and requires the certificate's subject to have fixed C, O, OU etc values. With multiple SubCAs (e.g. for VPN, client cert auth, host certs) we end up with different subject DNs but with the same directoryName GN SAN entry. The directoryName is designed to hold a LDAP DN.

By the way, I was quoting the RFC to give some context. With X.509 there is no such thing as an obvious thing. In fact multiple certs with the same Subject DN is very relevant and important for this topic. A certificate's Subject DN is not really a distinguishing name in the sense of a unique identifier.

"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/228#issuecomment-263546428