[Freeipa-devel] NTP in FreeIPA

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 17:10:12 UTC 2016

On ti, 29 marras 2016, Petr Spacek wrote:
>On 29.11.2016 16:02, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Petr Spacek wrote:

>>> +1 for Honza's point.
>>>
>>> Current NTP code is works only for initial setup and silently breaks
>>> synchronization later on. Most importantly it breaks synchronization as soon
>>> as admin removes old replicas and replaces them with new ones - there is no
>>> mechanism to update the records in the client configuration (and SRV discovery
>>> is not supported by clients).
>>>
>>> I.e. when admin decommission replicas which were around at the time of client
>>> installation, the NTP on client will silently break. This would not happen if
>>> you did not touch it.
>>>
>>> (This also implicitly means that IPA-configured NTP is broken on all clients
>>> in topologies which were completely migrated from RHEL 6 to RHEL 7.)
>>>
>>> Either DHCP or default distro config would solve the problem better.
>>
>> That's fair but where are the huge pile of bugs, tickets and user
>> e-mails complaining about time? Or has nobody noticed yet?
>
>Hard to say. There might be multiple reasons for this. E.g.
>
>- Starting with Fedora 16, there is Chronyd installed by default. IPA client
>installer does not configure Chronyd by default so there is nothing to break.
>
>- DHCP integration still modifies IPA-generated ntp.conf.
>
>- Users who care might use configuration management tool.
Still, bug reports and users' complaints is the only external measure we
have. There are close to nothing in complaints about NTP functionality,
other than requests to support chronyd and a better discover of existing
NTP setups. I don't think that requires dramatic action like removal of
NTP support at all.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy