[Freeipa-devel] NTP in FreeIPA

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 20:44:41 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-30 at 16:57 +0100, David Kupka wrote:
> Upgrades to 4.x will revert configuration if done by FreeIPA.

Why would you revert a perfectly valid configuration ?
I can understand that you wan to stop managing the server, but I do not
see why you should un-configure it.

> I think it's actually that simple. The only hard part is reaching the
> agreement.

I still think we need to offer the NTP option even if not on by default,
so on upgrade we would have to keep maintaining it.

Keep in mind that NTP is extremely important, still, in virtualized
environment and PoC environment where you must assure, with your own
means, that clocks are synchronized. Testing environments are often very
broken, reason why we also offer a DNS server.
And a testing environment generally give you the first impression, so if
it breaks horrible (as it does when clocks are not in sync then people
just stop caring and do not move to production.