[Freeipa-devel] Build system refactoring - design document

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 7 13:42:51 UTC 2016

On 07.10.2016 12:56, Petr Spacek wrote:
> Dear FreeIPA developers and packagers,
>
> you can find first version of the Build system refactoring design document on:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Build_system_refactoring
>
> If you do not care about implementation details, please be so kind and quickly
> scan through chapter
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Build_system_refactoring#Feature_Management
>
> I'm not an FreeIPA packager so I might miss some important thing which needs
> to be configurable.
>

> Also, I would appreciate ideas how to handle build versioning:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Build_system_refactoring#Versioning
>
> My main questions are:
> * What is triggering IPA upgrade?
> * Would it be sufficient to bump release in RPM? (I mean - theoretically.
> Could the code be modified to detect this?)
>
> Here I'm trying to avoid unnecessary rebuilds caused by changes to
> IPA_VENDOR_VERSION during each build.
>

> Timo, what can I do to help you with packaging for Ubuntu/Debian?

If you mean build system -wise, there isn't anything that I need, at
least if you migrate to autotools which sounds great.

This is the debian/rules of the current package, so if you'll have a
proper 'make clean' (as suggested already) and a one-pass build then
that's pretty much what I'd "need".

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-freeipa/freeipa.git/tree/debian/rules