[Freeipa-interest] Re: [Freeipa-devel] Feedback requested on Audit piece of IPA

Gunnar Hellekson gunnar.hellekson at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 01:49:38 UTC 2008

On  16-Jul-2008, at 8:19 PM, David O'Brien wrote:
> Karl Wirth wrote:
>> Currently we identified that audit system in general can be
>> targeted to:
>> *Collect data from different sources
>> *Consolidate data into a combined storage
>> *Provide effective tools to analyze collected data
>> *Archive collected data including signing and compression
>> *Restore data from archives for audit purposes or analyses
>>
>> We need your feedback on a couple of questions:
>> 1) Should we store structured log data for analysis, original log
>> data,
>> or both
>> - To do analysis of the log data, it would be better to structure
>> it and
>> store it.
>> - But structured data is not the same as the original log file that
>> it
>> was taken from.   Do we need the original log file format for
>> reasons of
>> compliance or can we throw it away?
>> - Storing both parsed and unparsed data will have significant storage
>> impact.
>>
> I'm just a beginner but my first reaction here is How is this going
> to affect a forensics situation? Shouldn't we always have access to
> untouched/raw data? We can parse it and create whatever structure is
> required on demand, but if we do it immediately and trash the
> original data, there's no going back.

That's right. The user should always have the option of keeping the
raw data. Often, there are requirements to maintain that data on write-
once media, etc. so I don't think they'd take kindly to summarily
trashing it. It would be great it we could accommodate the more hard-
core folks, or folks who'd like the raw data for third-party log-
eating tools. I feel pretty strongly that we should at least have the
option of maintaining the original log file format. We can then allow
the raw logs to be managed via logrotate rules for retiring,
compression, signing, etc. This may mean that they do not get touched
at all, which is what some customers want.

>> 2) Should we parse the data into a structure format locally or back
>> on
>> IPA server?
>> - Parsing locally and passing both parsed and original log data will
>> increase network traffic but reduce load on server

The a priori "forensic expert" in me is suspicious of munging data on
the client.  It seems as though we're solving a problem destructively,
since we lose the ability to verify the original data. What happens if
there's a bug in the parser? If we're supporting this, it should be
optional.

>> 3) What is the scope of what should be included in the audit data in
>> addition to what we will get from syslog, rsyslog, auditd, etc.
>> Those
>> will give us data like user access to a system, keystrokes, etc.
>> What
>> beyond that is needed.  For example, is the following needed: Files
>> user
>> accessed on a system

Between a keystroke logger, syslog and auditd, that takes care of just
about everything, including a log of the files a user accessed on a
system.

Gunnar Hellekson, RHCE
Lead Architect, Red Hat Government