[Freeipa-interest] FreeIPA beginner

Rob Visser visser.rob at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:46:45 UTC 2009

Hello,

Just recently I installed na IPA server and IP client on two Fedora 10
computers.
I managed to get ssh working for the admin user (with single sign on).
I am confused about the the relation between Kerberos and UNIX identities.
A few questions:
- Is it required to add the UNIX user (in the passwd file) after entering
the user with FreeIPA? Or perhaps the other way around?
- If so, then I assume with the UID/GID that are generated with the "add
user".
- The admin user automagically seems to be linked to the (unix) root user?

When I create a new user with FreeIPA, then I can login with GDM with the
new identity, however, the pam_namespace does not create a /home/user and
/tmp

When I try to change the Kerkeros password, it complains that it cannot find
any kdc.

Is there something I missed in reading documents?

Any help is appreciated.

Rob Visser