[Freeipa-users] Some questions - using LDAP and mac os x version

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 20:09:03 UTC 2008

Götz Reinicke wrote:
> Dmitri Pal schrieb:
>> Götz Reinicke wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> recently I started to investigate freeIPA as we do have a lot of windows
>>> and mac os x clients and mostly RH EL 5.x Servers.
>>>
>>> I set up a test server and installed and followed the instructions from
>>> the FreeIPA documentation homepage.
>>>
>>> At most I'm interissted in authenticating mac os x clients so I started
>>> to test the client installation. As for the moment I have only 10.5
>>> Clients; the doc referes to 10.4.
>>>
>>> After some steps I saw, that some parameters and options are different,
>>> so I stopped :).
>>>
>>> My questions:
>>>
>>> Is freeIPA usable with 10.5? If so, what has to be changed?
>>>
>> Probably yes but we do not know for sure.
>>

>>> May I help by providing my experience?
>>>

>> Yes. Please. If you can share your experience about configuring 10.5
>> would be really great.
>
> O.K. as soon as I have time, I'll document the different steps. I'm
> shure that I than need some help.
>
>>> Can I use freeIPA also as a LDAP directory for e.g. E-Mail-Clients like
>>> thunderbird to look up addresses?
>>>
>> Yes. IPA is a directory. When configuring lookups please keep in mind
>> that IPA has a flat tree of user accounts.
>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Image:IPA-DIT.png
>
> Could you give me a hint, what I have to configure and how? That would
> be greate!

Sure, from Thunderbird bring up the address book (Tools->Address Book).

Define a new LDAP server with File->New->LDAP Directory...

Enter a useful name and the hostname of the IPA server.

For the Base DN use something like: cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=freeipa,dc=org

You don't need to provide a Bind DN and you can optionally enable SSL.
It should work either way.

rob