[Freeipa-users] nss_ldap: Can't contact LDAP server

Edward Popoola edwardpopoola at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 17:57:04 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I just joined this list and I was wondering if anyone could help with my
problem or provide a link to a similar discussion if it has been held
before.

I successfully installed the redhat IPA on the server and on one client for
starters. On the server, after creating ipa users through the web interface,
I'm able to switch to the new ipa user (i had to edit the add the pam_mkdir
module in the login and su pam.d files)

However trying to switch user from the ipa-client is telling me 'account
does not exist' ...

Part of my  /etc/nsswitch file on the client and on the server has the entry

.
passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap

The log file on the ipa-client is given below:

Nov 21 14:12:33 phbdnssrv su: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
ldap://ipaserver.mydomain.com: Can't contact LDAP server
Nov 21 14:12:33 phbdnssrv su: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server -
Server is unavailable
Nov 21 15:44:49 phbdnssrv su: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
ldap://ipaserver.mydomain.com: Can't contact LDAP server
Nov 21 15:44:49 phbdnssrv su: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server -
Server is unavailable

My DNS seems to be up and it returns queries on both server and
client...Please is there anything I could do and that I am missing.

Thanks in advance
ed

--
Edward Popoola (RHCE, SCSA, C|EH)