[Freeipa-users] ipa impressions and more questions

Fred Wittekind rom at twister.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 17 15:57:58 UTC 2008

Ivan Levchenko wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Ideally we suggest you use kerberos for authentication, but you can use
>> ldap too.
>>

> I asking, because I want to setup email servers with a unified user
> database. Can kerberos return the email address of the user and/or
> mailbox location?
>
> This brings up another question that I was very interested in. Will
> IPA's web interface support adding custom fields to a users
> description/profile? for example: mailbox location and any other
> things that could be used for any arbitrary app? Currently, I'm
> planning on adding it directly to ldap. to the users that I will be
> needing to have it.

Assuming you aren't doing email hosting for multiple domains, you might
find that it just works as is.  I'm running Exim/Dovecot with IPA, and
users that are in the IPA & not in /etc/passwd can get and receive mail
just fine.  Only thing that I had to do was to make GSSAPI work with
Exim & Dovecot, and I posted a howto for that that you can find in the
archive of this list.