[Freeipa-users] ipa impressions and more questions

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 16:48:32 UTC 2008

Ivan Levchenko wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I think we had a way to add new fields, but I can't recall details right
>> now, worst case you can "customize" the python code, although that is a
>> bit of last resort option as it would mean you have to keep your patch
>> updated for each update/upgrade :-)
>>

> For me personally, this would be a very important feature. Maybe it
> could be added into the plans for v2?
> in the meantime, I'll just be adding the info directly to ldap.

We have something very limited currently.

In the record cn=ipaconfig you can add the attribute ipacustomfields.

This attribute takes the format (field1 $ field2 $ field3 ...)

Field is a comma-separated value and is made up of:
   label: The label displayed to the user
   field: the attribute name
   required: true/false

So something like: See Also, seeAlso, false $ Country, c, true

Be careful when adding attributes that have additional objectClass
requirements. If you do this then you'll need to also update
ipaUserObjectClasses (which you can do in the UI) to include this for
new users. For existing users you will need to manually add the new
objectclass to them.

These new fields will then get tacked onto the end of the User pages in
the UI.

rob