[Freeipa-users] Documentation update

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 15:03:44 UTC 2009

Updated documentation for IPA v1.2.1 is finally available. It has also
been converted to static HTML files.

We were having problems keeping the documentation in sync with what we
also wanted to deliver as pdf and html files resulting in frequent and
long delays in updating the wiki.

The solution we came up with is to publish the documentation in a public
GIT repo and build the html files that appear on the wiki from there.

The repository is here:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ipadocs.git?p=ipadocs.git;a=summary

This static html files are built with a Red Hat internally-developed
documentation tool, Publican. We're encouraging the Fedora people (and
others) to use it, and they're providing lots of feedback and helping to
improve it.

Publican takes docbook xml as input, validates it according to the
"brand" being used (Fedora, Red Hat, JBoss, etc., specified in the
Makefile), and can produce html, pdf, and rpm output. It also includes
options to create localization kits. We use publican to create the
POT/PO files for translation and to create localized versions of books.

For those interested in getting involved in publican:
publican-list at redhat.com