[Freeipa-users] Setting nsslapd-maxdescriptors

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Dec 7 15:19:23 UTC 2009

Tomasz Z. Napierala wrote:
> Dnia 2009-12-07, pon o godzinie 10:56 +0100, Tomasz Z. Napierala pisze:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I came across fds limit problem, and I wanted to change that parameter
>> for my FDS instance. I tried to put it
>> in /etc/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/dse.ldif, but this file gets overwritten
>> every time dirsrv is restarted. What is the best way to change that
>> setting?
>>

> Problem solved ;)
> I was editing the file, and then restarting dirsrv. It looks like you
> have to stop the instance, then edit the file, and start the instance
> after that.

You can also set the value using ldapmodify
ldapmodify -x -D "cn=directory manager" -w password
dn: cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: nsslapd-maxdescriptors
nsslapd-maxdescriptors: 8192

You have to restart the server for this setting to take effect.

See also http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Performance_Tuning#Linux