[Freeipa-users] Some clarifications about IPA and SSSD

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 17:01:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:51:34AM -0700, Daniel Qarras wrote:
> So when you mention NSS_LDAP, Nss_ldap, nss_ldap, and nss_ldapd I'm wondering are you speaking only about nss_ldap (1) or do you also refer to nss-ldapd (2)? Especially if the latter, it would be very interesting if you could provide even a hint about envisioned schedule - what's happening with F11/F12, RHEL5.x, and with RHEL6?
>
> 1) http://www.padl.com/OSS/nss_ldap.html
> 2) http://arthurdejong.org/nss-ldapd/

Personally I lean toward keeping things as they are in existing
releases, as nss-ldapd isn't quite a 100% direct replacement for
nss_ldap, and switching over to using nss-ldapd in preference over
nss_ldap for F12.

Though I expect it'll be possible to have both installed at the same
time, us not screwing with the sonames means that unless environment
variables which affect the run-time linker are in play, applications
will always only try to use nss-ldapd if both are installed.

Cheers,

Nalin