[Freeipa-users] Confused,HELP

David O'Brien davido at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 12:06:12 UTC 2009

Michael Kang wrote:
> Dear FreeIPA community,
>
> I'm confused those days. My PL wants to find a AAA solution for our company
> by using LDAP to storing employee information. Now they use phpLDAPadmin to
> manage Fedora directory server. Using Apache ladp mod to authenticate for
> internal websites.
>
> Now I'm learning FreeIPA. But I don't know what's different with FreeIPA and
> 389-ds?
>
> What could FreeIPA offer? What is the benefit of deploying FreeIPA in my
> company.
>
> I'm a junior Linux system administrator. I really need your help.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Hi Michael

Have you had a look at the freeIPA home page for a description of what
freeIPA provides, what its goals are, and the different technologies
involved? You will no doubt get a much more detailed reply from the
developers, but the home page will provide a good overview.

While 389-ds is just that - a directory server - freeIPA uses this
directory server in conjunction with MIT Kerberos, DNS, and other
technologies to provide an integrated security management system. 389-ds
is a single product; freeIPA is all about integrating a number of
products to ease the process of security and identity management.

好运~!

--

David O'Brien
IPA Content Author

http://freeipa.org/page/DocumentationPortal
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ipadocs.git

"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when
one will do."
    Thomas Jefferson