[Freeipa-users] IPA+AD sync error

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 14:41:01 UTC 2010

Shan Kumaraswamy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have deployed FreeIPA 1.2.1 in RHEL 5.5 and I want to sync with
> Active Directory (windows 2008 R2). Can please anyone have
> step-by-step configuration doc and share to me? Previously I have done
> the same exercise, but now that is not working for me and I am facing
> lot of challenges to make this happen.
>
> Please find the steps what exactly I done so for:
>
> 1.       Installed RHDS 8.1 and FreeIPA 1.2.1 and configured properly
> and tested its working fine
>
> 2.       In AD side, installed Active Directory certificate Server as
> a Enterprise Root
>
> 3.       Copy the “cacert.p12” file and imported under Certificates
> –Service (Active Directory Domain service) on Local Computer using MMC.
>
> 4.       Installed PasSync.msi file and given all the required information
>
> 5.       Run the command “certutil -d . -L -n "CA certificate" -a >
> dsca.crt” from IPA server and copied the .crt file in to AD server and
> ran this command from “cd "C:\Program Files\Red Hat Directory Password
> Synchronization"
>
> 6.       certutil.exe -d . -N
>
> 7.       certutil.exe -d . -A -n "DS CA cert" -t CT,, -a -i
> \path\to\dsca.crt
>
> 8.       certutil.exe -d . -L -n "DS CA cert" and rebooted the AD server.
>
> After this steps, when try to create sync agreement from IPA server I
> am getting  this error:
>

> ldap_simple_bind: Can't contact LDAP server
>
>         SSL error -8179 (Peer's Certificate issuer is not recognized.)
>
> Please share the steps to configure AD Sync with IPA server.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.2/admin/html/Windows_Sync-Configuring_Windows_Sync.html

But it looks as though there is a step missing.  If you use MS AD CA to
generate the AD cert, and use IPA to generate the IPA CA and server
cert, then you have to import the MS AD CA cert into IPA.