[Freeipa-users] Alpha 2 Bugs or Misconfigurations?

Ryan Thomson ryan at pet.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 19 00:36:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

First off, thanks to the freeIPA team for releasing the next iteration of v2! I eagerly follow this project despite my limited deployment goals. As such, I've already downloaded the source code and built it on my Fedora 12 PPC server (IBM p505) for testing.

The new web UI is definitely a move in the right direction! Good work. It's quite difficult to judge the workflow at this point though because there's a couple problems I'm facing that seem like bugs or errors in my installation/configuration which prevent me from really starting to hammer data into the UI.

On both the Automount Maps and Automount Keys pages, I can't see any of the existing automount entries. An error is displayed above the table: "'cn' is required". I'm thinking this might be referring to the cn for the automount "location" being missing/not provided? Is there someone to provide it that I'm just obviously missing?

When I use the "ipa" command on the CLI, I can verify the existence of my entry:

# ipa automountkey-find
Location: default
Map: auto.home
  <automountkey>: ryan
  <automountinformation>: -wsize=65536,rsize=65536,intr dnsname:/home/ryan
----------------------------
Number of entries returned 1
----------------------------

but browsing from the web UI, both the key and map tables appear empty. I can however create automount key and map entries through the web UI and when I do so, I can see the entry listed right after I create it but once I navigate away from the map or key page and go back, it's gone with the "'cn' is required' error in bold red again. Looking in the httpd error logs, this is all I get when viewing the key or map pages:

ipa: INFO: Created connection context.ldap2
ipa: INFO: Destroyed connection context.ldap2
ipa: INFO: Created connection context.ldap2
ipa: DEBUG: raw: automountmap_find(u'', None)
ipa: INFO: automountmap_find(None, None, all=False, raw=False)
ipa: INFO: Destroyed connection context.ldap2

It seems like automountmap_find() maybe isn't specifying any automount "location" for where to find entries for but I'm not entirely certain here. Is there somewhere I'm missing in the UI where I can specify automount location I want to work with?

Next, on the "Services" page of the web UI, I see an error in bold red above the table which says "Request failed to /ipa/json". Checking my httpd error logs, I find the following error:

ipa: ERROR: jsonserver.__call__():
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipaserver/rpcserver.py", line 141, in __call__
    response = self.wsgi_execute(environ)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipaserver/rpcserver.py", line 128, in wsgi_execute
    return self.marshal(result, error, _id)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipaserver/rpcserver.py", line 244, in marshal
    return json.dumps(response, sort_keys=True, indent=4)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/__init__.py", line 237, in dumps
    **kw).encode(obj)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 367, in encode
    chunks = list(self.iterencode(o))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 309, in _iterencode
    for chunk in self._iterencode_dict(o, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 275, in _iterencode_dict
    for chunk in self._iterencode(value, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 309, in _iterencode
    for chunk in self._iterencode_dict(o, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 275, in _iterencode_dict
    for chunk in self._iterencode(value, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 306, in _iterencode
    for chunk in self._iterencode_list(o, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 204, in _iterencode_list
    for chunk in self._iterencode(value, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 309, in _iterencode
    for chunk in self._iterencode_dict(o, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 275, in _iterencode_dict
    for chunk in self._iterencode(value, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 306, in _iterencode
    for chunk in self._iterencode_list(o, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 204, in _iterencode_list
    for chunk in self._iterencode(value, markers):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/json/encoder.py", line 294, in _iterencode
    yield encoder(o)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x82 in position 1: unexpected code byte

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely certain where to start investigating this problem as I don't posses any significant knowledge of python, JSON or UTF encoding!

Let me know how I can help discover what is going on here and then I'll get to doing the more interesting testing of UI workflow, layout, etc.

--Ryan