[Freeipa-users] Is sssd currently useable with freeipa v2 ?

Oliver Burtchen o.burtchen at gmx.de
Mon May 3 14:52:52 UTC 2010

Am Montag, 3. Mai 2010 09:14:26 schrieb Sumit Bose:
> On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 08:41:14PM +0200, Oliver Burtchen wrote:

> > > You need at least sssd 1.1.1 for hbac to work. I just added a tiny bit
> > > of documentation on this yesterday at
> > > http://freeipa.org/page/CLI_Overview#hbac
> > >
> > > It might point you in the right direction anyway. I hope to have more
> > > thorough documentation on it available soon.
> >
> > Thanks for the hint. Just for the record, here are some more
> > Informations:
> > http://freeipa.org/page/Concepts_and_Objects#Host_Based_Access_Control
>
> Even more information can be found here:
> http://freeipa.org/page/DS_Design_Summary#HBAC_object
> This page is basically what I used to implement the IPA HBAC rules in
> sssd.

This was exactly the information I needed. Thanks! Also for the examples
below.

I was completely unaware or rather had no clue what the (srchost/host/user)
category options are for. Now I got it and it works.

One other cosmetic thing I observed: There are

hbac-add, hbac-add-host, hbac-add-user, ...

but

hbac-del
and
hbac-remove-host, hbac-remove-user, ...

IMHO it would be more consistent to rename the hbac-remove-* commands
to hbac-del-*

So, at least one more question:  ;-)

What are the exact service-names to use in --service? I know basically they
are the ones like in /etc/services, or what pam uses. But I noticed that both
ssh and sshd are applicable for ssh. Is there somewhere a list or do they
provide it by their selfs, and I can only make a good guess and try.

Best regards,
Oli

> > > The default configuration in hbac uses the model "denied unless
> > > explicitly allowed" which is why all your logins failed. We don't
> > > currently have any default rules set up, I wonder if we should have
> > > some basic ones for demonstration purposes and to sort of bootstrap
> > > things.
> >
> > Well, I played around a little bit and managed to setup rules to allow
> > ssh- login. Now I have some more questions:
> >
> > a) Is it right that I cannot use wildcards or placeholders in the
> > service- name? I tried "all" and "*", but only explicite naming like
> > "ssh" or "sshd" works.
>
> If the service is empty every service is allowed.
>
> > b) Is it right, that I have to set host and source-host? For me, it
> > doesn't work if I do not. My first thought was, if it's not set, it
> > should always match.
>
> Please set the source host category to 'all':
>  ipa hbac-mod --srchostcat=all YOUR_RULE_NAME
>
> > c) Like a), how to set up a rule for all hosts or source-hosts? Do I have
> > to put them all in a hostgroup? If so, than it would be very handy, if
> > ipa could manage such group automagically for reference.
>
> There is also a host category and a user category to set:
>  ipa hbac-mod --hostcat=all YOUR_RULE_NAME
>  ipa hbac-mod --usercat=all YOUR_RULE_NAME
>
> > d) How to setup a rule which restrics services like nfs to the lan (and
> > known hosts), but permits ssh from every machine over the internet
> > (unknown hosts)?
>
> You will need two rules one for the service sshd and one for nfs.
>
> > e) Like Simo suggested, finally how to setup an explicit permit all rule
> > for testing?
>
> ipa hbac-add --type=allow allow_all
> ipa hbac-mod --srchostcat=all allow_all
> ipa hbac-mod --hostcat=all allow_all