[Freeipa-users] Policy functionality of 2.0 requirements dropped?

Sean Brady sbrady at gtfservices.com
Mon May 3 22:51:36 UTC 2010

> On 05/03/2010 06:11 PM, Sean Brady wrote:
>
>> I just checked out the requirements document for 2.0 again and I see
>> that the policy and audit sections indicate that those requirements have
>> been dropped. I didn't see anything on this list about that, although I
>> admit I haven't had time to follow that closely.
>>
>> Can anyone comment on why these have been dropped, and what would
>> replace that functionality? One area of specific concern would be the
>> removal of 1.3.8, "Integrate machine into the existing network by
>> downloading and applying policies related to the machine (network
>> settings, policy, printers)"...
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>

> You could try Puppet (http://puppet.reductivelabs.com/), which provides
> most of the functionality IPA v2 was originally going to provide.

I was just curious as to the reasoning behind the change.  I'm not
really that upset about it or anything, except for the configuration
download part.  That was something that I was really looking forward
to.  It was just a little bit of a shock to see that on the site without
seeing anything about it here first.

And as for Puppet, I just can't bring myself to install Ruby on my
servers and give up the extra RAM that it needs.  They are all tuned
VM's that use just enough resources.  Perhaps I am succumbing to FUD,
but it's not worth it at this point.  Maybe this change in direction
with FreeI will change that.

Well, I suppose now we need to change the name to FreeI, since the PA
are gone :).