[Freeipa-users] Replica not syncing 'memberOf' attributes

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Thu Oct 7 15:52:44 UTC 2010

On 10/06/2010 07:03 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> Dan Scott wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Do any other groups have a "member" attribute that points to your
>>> "cn=admins" group's DN?  The error message indicates that some other
>>> group
>>> has your admins group as a member.
>>
>> Yes, I do have another group of which admins is a member. I have
>> removed it temporarily. Would this be a problem normally?
> I'm not sure how the memberOf plugin is supposed to handle situations
> like this.
The memberOf plug-in leaves it up to the administrator to ensure that
the proper objectClasses are present on objects that it wants to add
memberOf to.  When the plug-in encounters an issue where the memberOf
attribute it not allowed on an entry, it simply continues on to the next
entry.  This one grouping error should not cause any other issues with
memberOf working for other groups.

 From an FreeIPA perspective, should it be allowed to list the
"cn=admins" group as a member of another group?  If so, the proper
objectClass needs to be added to "cn=admins" to allow the memberOf
attribute.