[Freeipa-users] userPassword change with ldif

James Roman james.roman at ssaihq.com
Thu Sep 16 20:37:34 UTC 2010

  On 09/15/2010 10:14 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:

> As Dmitri said, the problem is that kerberos uses a different password
> attribute than LDAP. For passwords set within IPA we capture password
> changes from both LDAP and kerberos and keep the two in sync.
>
> When you migrate just the LDAP password you need some mechanism to
> authenticate the user and reset the password, therefore creating the
> kerberos credentials and starting to keep the two in sync.
>
> Off the top of my head, you may be able to do something in v1 with a
> little bit of work:
>
> - When you load users via ldif add the krbPrincipalAux objectclass and
> set krbprincipalname to user at REALM.
> - Write a simple web page that uses LDAP authentication. On the page
> itself prompt for a new password and use the LDAP protocol to change
> the password (this is pretty standard stuff).
> - This should, in theory, add the kerberos credentials.
I can confirm that using an LDAP password reset function will sync both
the LDAP and Kerberos passwords. If using Perl website, be sure to use
Net::LDAP::Extension::SetPassword. This is critical if your FreeIPA
server is connected an Active Directory server. Methods where you insert
a pre-hashed value into the LDAP directory can't be propagated to the
Windows Domain.