[Freeipa-users] 6.1 beta

Kevin Unthank kevinu at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 18:32:25 UTC 2011

On 04/08/2011 06:26 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 02:38 AM, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> Please disregards Steven Jones' ranting, this was not the kind of feedback I was looking for.
>>
>> Ok, I do like the wider options for channels in Red Hat, but this bring me to my next question:
>> Will there be an extra charge for this add on channel, or will this be included in the base
>> subscription?
>>
>> If $answer = yes { Why does Red Hat think they can charge more for a feature that is included in
>> it's competitors base license for the equivalent product? }
>>
>> Else if $answer = no { Great! :) }
>>

>> Rgds,
>> Siggi
> I will leave to Kevin to describe details but in a nutshell the
> replication and or synchronization with AD (same channel) is not free.
> Red Hat worked out a competitive pricing model for this product and some
> of the cost is attached to the replication bits.

There aren't many more details to fill in because the final
pricing decisions have not been, erm... finalised.

As Dmitri said, we have been working on models to ensure
the pricing is competitive and flexible.

One additional parameter that we have to take into
consideration are the pricing models for other Red Hat
offerings such as virtualization, systems management and
middleware offerings. We want an easy to understand pricing
model that provides the best value for our customers.

Just to reiterate, the upstream community supported
packages remain freely available in both binary and source
form.

Cheers,
Kev