[Freeipa-users] Use of FreeIPA or FreeIPA LDAP server to hold private keys

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 18:29:22 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 01:16 PM, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:

> On 8/3/11 12:38 PM, Adam Young wrote:
>> I think what you are interested in is the Data Recovery Manager
>> (DRM...hey, we had the acronym first, but we also call it Key
>> Recovery  )  aspect of Certificate Server.
>
> That is awesome.  That is exactly what I want.
>
> Do you have experience with this?  If so, does it work if the
> certificate requests are being handled by an external entity?  We use
> a Department of Energy CA located in California, but the users in our
> community are from across the US (and international), and we're
> looking to improve the process of them acquiring a usable "identity"
> in a federated environment.  We're using FreeIPA internally, but if we
> can link it in to the cert request process and cert mgmt process (from
> the user end, not the CA end) that would be great.
>
> Ian
Experience?  I've been on the Dogtag  project for over a week now.  I'm
learning about it as we speak.

The place to ask about Dogtag and the pki products is
pki-users at redhat.com
on freednode is *#dogtag-pki.

*Integrating KRA into IPA is on the map, although I am not sure the
timeframe.  However, I suspect that our approach would be assuming you
wanted your own CA.  Not sure if you can do KRA with**an external CA.*
*