[Freeipa-users] Optionistic approach for new DNS API

Endi Sukma Dewata edewata at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 21:20:40 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 3:41 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> ipa dnsrecord-mod ZONE NAME VALUE? --type=mx --preference=0
> ipa dnsrecord-del ZONE NAME --type=mx --preference=0 --exchanger=server1.example.com.

I think the mod & del commands should use the same way to specify the
existing data.

If we use the raw data, it should be specified as an option instead of
an argument:

   ipa dnsrecord-mod ZONE NAME --type=mx \
     --rec-data="10 server1.example.com." --new-preference=20

   ipa dnsrecord-del ZONE NAME --type=mx \
     --rec-data="10 server1.example.com."

Alternatively we can use separate option for each parameter:

   ipa dnsrecord-mod ZONE NAME --type=mx \
     --preference=10 --exchanger=server1.example.com. \
     --new-preference=0

   ipa dnsrecord-del ZONE NAME --type=mx \
     --preference=10 --exchanger=server1.example.com.

Or we can support both.

> - SHOW and FIND commands do not need this new --type parameter

We can also add --types to specify the record types we want to get back
in the result. This could be useful in case we want to refresh a certain
table only in the record details page. Low priority.

BTW, I'd rather use --rec-type instead of just --type because 'type'
seems to be more generic. In case a certain DNS record type also has a
'type' parameter, it might conflict with that. Another possibility is to
use a prefix for all type-specific options, e.g. --mx-preference.

> - ADD command:
>    - when no option is passed to dnsrecord-add command, it may ask for
> --type and then for the options specific for the particular type
> - MOD command:
>    - when no option is passed to dnsrecord-mod command, it may provide a
> list of current DNS record values and ask for specific DNS record parts
> to be changed for chosen value
> - DEL command:
>    - when no option is passed to dnsrecord-del command, it may provide a
> list of current DNS record values remove the chosen value

For consistency the mod & del commands can also ask for the type, then
show the list of records in that type. This way the list can be shown in
a nicely formatted table rather than just raw data.

--
Endi S. Dewata