[Freeipa-users] export entire ldap/kerberos/etc onto a new host

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 14:46:37 UTC 2011

On 02/02/2011 09:28 AM, Peter Doherty wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2011, at 09:09 , Simo Sorce wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:30:50 -0500
>> Peter Doherty <doherty at hkl.hms.harvard.edu> wrote:

>>> Can I upgrade from Beta-1 to Beta-2, or are they incompatible?
>> There are small incompatibilities, some new schema and some changes to
>> the DIT.
>>
> So you can't upgrade from 1.2 to 1.9 and you can't go from 1.9 to 2.0
> and you can't go from 2.0 beta-1 to 2.0 beta-2?
>
> So why would I want to use a product like that?

The version 1.2 is the version that had very limited functionality.
When we started working on v2 it became apparent that we will not be
able to maintain backward compatibility and the migration from IPA v1 to
V2 will be similar to migration for a different LDAP server. Out goal
for v2 and beyond to be compatible and to allow smooth migration.
However this means that we need to fix as many schema inconstancies and
data storage issues before we release v2 otherwise we will be stuck with
those forever. This means that the schema is changing in the beta cycle
to address issues we find. It is really unfortunate that you are caught
in this situation. We are on the verge of releasing beta 2 so everybody
is head down fixing issues. We will try to carve some time to come up
with a better strategy for you next week if that would help so that you
can move to beta2.
We hear your frustration and really sorry about the bad experience you
have with the project.

Thank you
Dmitri