[Freeipa-users] export entire ldap/kerberos/etc onto a new host

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at hkl.hms.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 2 22:15:19 UTC 2011

> ... as a sysadmin, whenever I read 'alpha|beta', all alarms go off
> :-). I do follow the project, but I would never run any kind of
> production on it just yet.

Our whole group thinks FreeIPA looks really exciting.  We really do
*want* to use it.  We want the project to succeed, and we'd be happy to
be part of the (non-developer) community that helps get you guys there.
 We are just disappointed that right now it doesn't look like we can
stick with you to make this happen, which is particularly frustrating
because we've invested a lot of time (at least several weeks at this
point) into getting to know and use FreeIPA.

We have 4 active users, and about a dozen others.  This is part of a
research computing cluster infrastructure and does not hold "home"
directories for anyone (no mail, no critical files, etc).  As I've said,
it seems like we have an ideal environment for "beta" testing.  Are you
only planning on testing version migration/upgrade abilities in the
final release?  Or perhaps there is a very long road of "beta" versions
that will come out over the next several years before a final 2.0
release appears.

It did not seem unreasonable for us to assume that some kind of
migration capability would be part of (at least) the beta releases.

> I think that blaming redhat for your using a beta version of software in
> production is a bit harsh. I understand you are under stress and upset,

We're not blaming the FreeIPA team.  We are surprised that for such a
significant project where clearly so much time and work *has* been
invested (even into things like documentation) that something so
critical as migration didn't get more attention sooner.  I appreciate
the issues that arise with developing good schemas, and the complexities
of being able to translate data between different schemas.

The backup plan I'm now considering (but it isn't just my decision) is
OpenLDAP or Dir-389 + WebMin + UserMin (not sure if Dir-389 will work
well with WebMin LDAP module).

Cheers,

Ian