[Freeipa-users] export entire ldap/kerberos/etc onto a new host

Peter Doherty doherty at hkl.hms.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 8 14:49:31 UTC 2011

On Feb 3, 2011, at 11:41 , Dmitri Pal wrote:

> On 02/03/2011 10:51 AM, Peter Doherty wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:35 , Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>

>>> - From the earlier points of the discussion, schema migration is
>>> planned
>>> for upgrades from 2.0.0 to future versions. It's only something
>>> that was
>>> left out of the alpha/beta process because things were still in
>>> churn
>>> and those releases were never intended to be in production. Once
>>> 2.0.0
>>> is baked, obviously the upgrade path will need to be clean.
>>

>> Is there a plan to include the ability for users of 1.2 to migrate to
>> 2.0?
>> I'd consider setting up and using 1.2 right now if I know that I can
>> migrate to 2.0 when the stable release comes out.
>>

> This is a use case that we have in mind. v1 is treated as an
> external DS
> thought.
> This migration is planned through the migrate-ds + SSSD or special
> page
> to migrate passwords. The v1 and v2 schemas are drastically different
> but v1 just has users and groups and migrate-ds script takes care of
> it.
> This is well covered in the migration guide.
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks
> Dmitri

For the curious out there, I set up a FreeIPA 1.2 server and recreated
all the users and groups, and dumped and imported the other LDAP info
(mostly automount maps)  User passwords were reset.  It took most of a
day, but things are running again.  If/when there's a migration path
into v2 I'll look into it.  From what I've seen the feature set in v2
is nice, I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Peter