[Freeipa-users] Unable to start the krb5kdc

James Roman james.roman at ssaihq.com
Tue Jan 25 20:58:35 UTC 2011

On 1/25/11 2:44 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:33:14 -0500
> James Roman<james.roman at ssaihq.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 01/25/2011 12:42 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> Do you see errors in /var/log/krb5kdc.log ?
>>>
>>> Simo.
>>>
>> The error above is the only one that repeats in the krb5kdc.log when
>> I attempt to restart the krb5kdc service. The actual error that is
>> shown in standard out is:
>>
>> Starting Kerberos 5 KDC: krb5kdc: cannot initialize realm DOMAIN.COM
>> - see log file for details
> Ok can you check the dirsrv logs and see if the KDC is actually trying
> (and perhaps getting auth refused) at all ?
>
> /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-DOMAIN-COM/access should show your KDC attempts
> to access the LDAP server and bind as the uid=kdc..... user.
>
> Simo.

Looks like an authentication failure:

[25/Jan/2011:15:11:29 -0500] conn=391 op=0 BIND
dn="uid=kdc,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,dc=domain,dc=com" method=128 version=3
[25/Jan/2011:15:11:29 -0500] conn=391 op=0 RESULT err=49 tag=97
nentries=0 etime=0
[25/Jan/2011:15:11:29 -0500] conn=391 op=-1 fd=73 closed - B1

The ldappwd file on both systems look identical. I don't think that the
SSL certificate comes into the equation, but I have no way of knowing
whether it initiates TLS or not.