[Freeipa-users] Configuring a Fedora 15 client to connect to a FreeIPA 1.2 server

Dan Scott danieljamesscott at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:41:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 14:19, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 11:58 -0400, Dan Scott wrote:

>> > Could you attach your
>> > (sanitized) /etc/sssd/sssd.conf, /etc/krb5.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf
>> > and /etc/pam.d/system-auth?
>>
>> Attached, thanks. The only changes are domain names and 'dc=*' entries.
>>
>> One thing that I just noticed, the system-auth file has pam_krb5.so
>> entries, previously, these were pam_sss.so - I've tried using both,
>> but neither appears to work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan
>

> Your /etc/nsswitch.conf is wrong. I just noticed that you were using
> authconfig-tui which is deprecated upstream and does not properly set up
> SSSD. Only 'authconfig' (command-line) or 'authconfig-gtk' (GUI) works
> properly. Feel free to file a bug against authconfig.
>
> /etc/nsswitch.conf needs to specify 'sss' instead of 'ldap' to use SSSD.
> Similarly system-auth needs to use pam_sss.so, not pam_krb5.so.
>
> If you run 'authconfig --enablesssd --enablesssdauth --update' you
> should be fine. This will update the config files with the correct
> SSSD-related settings.

Excellent! Thanks - that makes much more sense. I've been using
authconfig-tui all this time and had no idea that it was doing things
incorrectly.

One small issue that I found, if I switch on the "Use DNS to resolve
hosts to realms" option, then the krb5_realm (in sssd.conf) and
default_realm (in krb5.conf) are removed and my authentication fails.
I'm pretty sure that I have DNS correctly configured (_kerberos
       IN TXT EXAMPLE.COM). Does the sssd client look for different
DNS records for realm discovery?

Thanks for your help,

Dan