[Freeipa-users] ipa client install

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Mar 24 00:43:24 UTC 2011

Uzor Ide wrote:
> I have manually enrolled and configured the client. I am able to log
> into the client and access nfs4 shares. What I am wondering is if there
> are anything that the client would miss by joining this way. The client
> authenticate to the ipa-server through sssd. I would like to know if
> HBAC and centrally managed SUDO and other policy enforcements will fail
> to work because the manual enrolment.  Note that host certificate was
> not generated because of the manual joining.

I guess it means by how you manually joined but based on what you can do
I think you covered the major details.

If you have a host service principal in /etc/krb5.keytab and a correctly
configured sssd then you are fine for HBAC and nss (users, groups, etc).

SUDO works through nss_ldap so you should be fine there as well.

ipa-client-install doesn't do anything too special, it just makes sure
the environment is sane and then sets up sssd.conf, krb5.conf, fetches a
host service principal and uses certmonger to get an SSL server cert.
This last step is done as a convenience, it otherwise isn't used by IPA.
But if you wanted to setup an HTTP server that uses the same PKI as IPA
you'd have a certificate and key available.

cheers

rob