[Freeipa-users] Auto membership plugin

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 18:23:32 UTC 2011

On 03/30/2011 08:03 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 10:39 AM, Nathan Kinder wrote:
>> On 03/30/2011 06:00 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Please find the design for the auto membership plugin:
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/753
>>> Here: http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Auto_Membership_Design
>>>
>>> I have some comments and questions:
>>> 1) Is the AND functionality for inclusion criteria required?
>> I'm not sure.  Is there a use case for it?
>>> 2) How the attributes are escaped? Do they need to? Probably there will
>>> be cases when they should be escaped
>> Where exactly are you thinking that they need to be escaped? Why do
>> you think they might need to be escaped?
> Wild cards and regular expression might have special symbols like "="
> "\" slashes etc.
> If we decode to support AND it would probably be solved by concatenating
> multiple attr=regex pairs in one attribute. I am concerned it will be a
> challenge to parse.
We use libpcre elsewhere in 389 to allow regular expressions to be
used.  We actually have a public regular expression API within SLAPI
(the slapi_re_* functions).  We would leverage these functions in this
plug-in.  The SASL mapping code already uses these for something
similar, so there is not a new problem to solve here.
>>> 3) Parsing pairs in the value as a bit of overhead. I wonder if there is
>>> any way to avoid it?
>> Do you mean parsing the pair contained in the "autoMemberGroupingAttr"
>> attribute in the config definition entry?  This will only be parsed
>> when the definition entry is loaded at startup or when it is
>> modified.  It would be stored in a different form that is more
>> efficient to use when we actually need to perform auto membership
>> operations.
> Yes I am concerned about parsing pairs for the purposes of the modify
> operation in CLI/UI.
This is only done when loading the config, so it's a one-time penalty at
startup or when the config is modified (which should be fairly rare).  I
wouldn't worry about this.