[Freeipa-users] Questions from Steven Jones

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Tue May 3 20:26:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

Yes I kind of figured the Kerberos Interaction might be an issue...reading it suggests its clearly better for the IPA  master to do the DNS? so its seems logical its a separate stub-zone..?

I have the rare opportunity to design from scratch....as the linux/unix component of our site  has no central system at all...but it has to inter-act with AD and windows heavily.   Its about a 30% ~70% split...over 500 servers.

What I dont want to have to do is re-configure it all later that would be a nightmare I think....200 servers to change....ikky.

So we have multiple AD zones/domains,

example.ac.nz  is the root AD
staff.
student.

For windows AD.

Both sub-domains have passwords I need to get sync off

So I only want one Linux/unix domain....I dont want to split into staff. and student. as that is being removed from our MS AD anyway...

So I want to make it as logical and easy as possible to admin and maintain for our 1 linux admin.

Eventually we will just have example.ac.nz for AD but that's years away......in which case eventually I would have  example.ac.nz as AD syncing to unix.example.ac.nz ? as the best solution?

This is better than running IPA under the main example.ac.nz?  which is controlled by AD.......

However I suspect that my management wont be happy if they see  we have another sub-domain.....its a marketing / image thing its not uh "professional"...so I have to have good / clear reasons.

regards