[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA for Linux desktop deployment

Ben Eisenbraun bene at hkl.hms.harvard.edu
Mon May 9 13:29:46 UTC 2011

Hi Nasir,

Here are my notes (in Trac wiki markup format no less) for manually setting
up Ubuntu clients to use our FreeIPA 1.2 server.  I haven't tested the 2.0
branch yet, but I suspect it's primarily the same.

HTH.

-ben

--
| Ben Eisenbraun
| SBGrid Consortium                          | http://sbgrid.org       |
| Harvard Medical School                     | http://hms.harvard.edu  |

== Accounts/Authentication ==
Install required packages:
{{{
apt-get install ldap-utils krb5-user libpam-ldap libnss-ldap nss-updatedb libnss-db autofs nfs-common autofs-ldap
}}}
This should spawn a dpkg-configure instance for Kerberos, give the proper information.

Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf to include:
{{{
passwd:    files ldap
group:     files ldap
automount: files ldap
}}}

Edit /etc/ldap.conf to include:
{{{
uri                         ldap://your.server.name
base                        dc=EXAMPLE,dc=COM
bind_policy                 soft
pam_lookup_policy           yes
pam_password                md5
nss_initgroups_ignoreusers  root,ldap
nss_schema                  rfc2307bis
nss_map_attribute           uniqueMember member
ssl                         no
ldap_version                3
pam_filter                  objectClass=posixAccount
}}}

To enable pam-ldap, run:
{{{
pam-auth-update
}}}

To enable autofs-managed home directories, edit /etc/ldap/ldap.conf to read:
{{{
BASE  dc=EXAMPLE,dc=COM
URI   ldap://your.server.name
}}}

For kerberos config, edit /etc/krb5.conf to include
{{{
[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
 kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log