[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA for Linux desktop deployment

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Tue May 10 21:11:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

There are OSS packages that can be installed into Solaris.....so I dont see why freeipa cant be ported....at least the x86 CPU version anyway.  Oracle/Sun may not want to do IPA but if you had ever had the mis-fortune to try and use Oracle's IdM / OVD /OID you'd understand why few techies/ppl/businesses want it.....its bloody awful to install let alone work with or maintain....So its turns into a risky endeavour and no one sane wants that much risk in their business....let alone the 6 figure costs..........and yes Im talking over a million....

Hopefully we are getting away from the silo attitude of vendors.....Vendors might want only their products in a customer site, but realistically customers dont want that for lots of reasons, and pillaging your wallet is one of the biggest....

In our case all that happens is we wont buy Sun kit if it doesnt work the way we want to work....their loss.

regards