[Freeipa-users] IPA server as a DNS server and design things

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Wed May 18 23:07:45 UTC 2011

Qs,

1)  We have a single master only for freeipa 2.0?   so from what I can read the replicas are passive? ie do they answer LDAP queries and also DNS queries if DNS is integrated? but simply dont have a gui? or are they totally inert?  Im thinking of this as we really want 2 active DNS servers minimum.......

2) We discussed its better to have DNS as a stub domain off the main domain.....so Linux servers will be unix.vuw.ac.nz.....should I do the same for the reverse lookup?

Should I cleave off part of the class B?  say 2 x 24s?  problem then becomes what do I do with mixed environments where I have windows web front ends and linux db backends......or user areas where I cant do that...

regards