[Freeipa-users] LDAP search for email address of user in a particular group

Dan Scott danieljamesscott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 21:12:08 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've just migrated a couple of servers from FreeIPA 1.2 to 2.1. I'm
almost done. I just have a few custom LDAP searches to migrate.

With the old system, I was trying to look users who are in a
particular group by their email address i.e.

ldapsearch -b cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
"(&(mail=${email_address})(memberOf=cn=usergroup,cn=groups,dc=example,dc=com"
-x

In version 2, it looks like the memberOf attributes have been removed
from the user entries and the user group membership information is
stored only in the 'member' attribute of the individual group entries.

Can someone help me modify the above command so that I can find users,
using their email address, who are also members of a particular group?
Preferably using one command.

Thanks,

Dan Scott