[Freeipa-users] [Freeipa-devel] OpenSSH integration - known_hosts

Dan Scott danieljamesscott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 01:45:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 18:35, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 17:57 -0500, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>> On 11/08/2011 02:56 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > This is a great feature. It feels like I'm always re-installing VMs
>> > and having to remove old SSH keys and re-accept new ones.
>> >
>> > One feature I'd like is to have this working cross-realm. We have 2
>> > IPA realms here and it would be great if I could configure SSSD to
>> > check the local realm if I'm SSHing to a local PC and to check the
>> > other IPA server(s) if my SSH target is part of the other realm. Even
>> > better if it could do this without explicit configuration.
>> >
>> > Do you think it would be possible to do this securely?
>>
>> When we start to support Cross Realm Kerberos Trusts for IPA to IPA I
>> think this would be doable but then I do not think the ssh host keys
>> will be used (needed). Simo, am I correct?
>
> We do not have the GSSAPI key exchange patches in OpenSSH. With those
> the ssh host key is not necessary when using GSSAPI auth, even in the
> same realm.
>
> But when you want to use ssh host keys, across realm kerberos trust is
> not going to help.

I don't quite understand this. What trust is required, other than the
cross-realm authentication of kerberos tickets? Surely each realm
would manage its own host keys. All I'm looking for is an
authenticated cross-realm key lookup so that my client can pre-cache
entries in the known_hosts file. Wouldn't this just be an LDAP lookup?

Dan