[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA on CentOS 5.6

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:43:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am an absolute beginner here... So... I have a machine that only has
> 512 MB of RAM which is too small to house Fedora. So that machine is
> running CentOS 5.6. And now I want to install FreeIPA on it. Has
> anybody done it? If so, how have you done it?

My first install of FreeIPA was on an OpenVZ container with only
512MB. It didn't go so well. Luckily for me it was the only container
on the system so I just bumped up the RAM. I had to set it to over 2GB
just to get through the install process. Once installed, it does use
less memory (if you have a small directory), but I still think you
would be in trouble with only 512MB. I would also go with Fedora 15 so
you can get the latest packages. And when you are ready, run the
production version on a full system or KVM so you can take advantage
of SELinux to protect the system as much as possible.

Steve