[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA on CentOS 5.6

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 21:13:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 15:02 -0500, Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Sigbjorn Lie <sigbjorn at nixtra.com> wrote:

> > > Well, RHEL 6.2 (due out before the end of the year) will include a
> > > fully-supported version of FreeIPA as "Red Hat Identity Management". Presumably, whenever CentOS
> > > 6.2 is released, it will also carry this
> > > package.
> > >
> > > It's likely to be possible to get it to run on CentOS 6.0, but it will
> > > require some elbow grease. I also agree with the earlier comments that 512MB is not enough to run
> > > the OS + FreeIPA. _______________________________________________
> >

> > Agreed! Even my test setup with 10 clients started swapping on an IPA server with 1GB of memory.
> > It now uses approx 1,7GB of memory after the IPA server was increased to 2GB.
> >

> What if you just give it massive amounts of swap though?

Boris,
I have virtual machines to which I give 768M of Ram, it works ok for few
tests. Of course my host machine has much more RAM and probably caches
the swap. a Bare metal with only 512M would probably be *very* slow.

Although, maybe if you use the (non production/test only) --selfsign
option to not install the PKI then java/tomcat would not be started
which may make it work well enough. But then you wouldn't be able to
fully test the PKI stuff.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York