[Freeipa-users] Question on AD to freeipa sync

Christian Horn chorn at fluxcoil.net
Mon Oct 3 06:08:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 10:03:12AM +0200, Ondrej Valousek wrote:
> Just wondering why would anyone want to sync freeIPA and AD - both
> can serve Linux systems fine, so if I already have AD, I no longer
> require IPA.

- the error messages of an AD might be strange to deal with for
unix/linux admins

- While I expect Microsoft to test AD patches with Windows clients
I do not expect them to test linux/unix clients.  Resulting in possi-
bility that patches of the AD break the communication to linux/unix
clients.

- Having important infrastructure like idendification/directory services
running on OpenSource software is a good thing, apply all the OpenSource
advantages here like beeing able to audit the code etc.

Christian