[Freeipa-users] setting user logins by "hand"

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 06:38:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 22:10 +0000, Steven Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looks like the IPA server on RHEL6.2beta is setting user logins, I need this to be a manually editable field so I can follow company policy
>
> So at the moment adding steven jones works out as sjones when I need jonesst1 set by hand.
>
> How do I set this please?

When you are adding a user, you have the possibility to change a
username which we provide default to.

In CLI its pretty easy:

# ipa user-add --first=Foo --last=Bar
User login [fbar]: barfoo
-------------------
Added user "barfoo"
-------------------
  User login: barfoo
  First name: Foo
  Last name: Bar
  Full name: Foo Bar
  Display name: Foo Bar
  Initials: FB
  Home directory: /home/barfoo
  GECOS field: Foo Bar
  Login shell: /bin/sh
  Kerberos principal: barfoo at IDM.LAB.BOS.REDHAT.COM
  UID: 96000014
  GID: 96000001
  Keytab: False
  Password: False

In current WebUI version you can change the default user name by
clicking on the username field and changing the value.

> Also in installing ipa-server the forwarder= flag would only accept one IP trying to delimit for a second with a , failed.

Options with multiple values should be entered the following way:

# ipa-dns-install --forwarder=10.16.255.2 --forwarder=10.16.255.3

The log file for this installation can be found
in /var/log/ipaserver-install.log
This program will setup DNS for the FreeIPA Server.

This includes:
  * Configure DNS (bind)

To accept the default shown in brackets, press the Enter key.

Existing BIND configuration detected, overwrite? [no]: y
Directory Manager password:

Do you want to configure the reverse zone? [yes]:
Please specify the reverse zone name [78.16.10.in-addr.arpa.]:
Using reverse zone 78.16.10.in-addr.arpa.

The following operations may take some minutes to complete.
Please wait until the prompt is returned.

Configuring named:
  [1/9]: adding DNS container
  [2/9]: setting up our zone
  [3/9]: setting up reverse zone
  [4/9]: setting up our own record
  [5/9]: setting up kerberos principal
  [6/9]: setting up named.conf
  [7/9]: restarting named
  [8/9]: configuring named to start on boot
  [9/9]: changing resolv.conf to point to ourselves
done configuring named.
Setup complete

	You must make sure these network ports are open:
		TCP Ports:
		  * 53: bind
		UDP Ports:
		  * 53: bind