[Freeipa-users] Install problem with --setup-dns

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 18:00:30 UTC 2011

On 09/30/2011 01:10 PM, Mark A Cinense wrote:
> Hi, new to the list.  I have been pounding away at this for the past
> month or so, and I am stumped as to why when installing IPA, it keeps
> wanting to setup DNS with a domain name of
> ipaserver.test.mark.cinense.org
> <http://ipaserver.test.mark.cinense.org>.  During the interaction part
> of the install, I defined the domain as mark.cinense.org
> <http://mark.cinense.org>.
>
> The message I get is:
>
> Do you want to configure the reverse zone? [yes]:
> Configuring named:
>   [1/9]: adding DNS container
>   [2/9]: setting up our zone
> Unexpected error - see ipaserver-install.log for details:
> test.mark.cinense.org <http://test.mark.cinense.org>: DNS zone not found
>
> Here is how I answer the interactive questions:
>
> Server host name [ipaserver.test.mark.cinense.org
> <http://ipaserver.test.mark.cinense.org>]:

I think the problem is the you are adding to an invalid zone here.  I am
guessing siomething is silently failing.

You are stating that your domain is
mark.cinense.org <http://mark.cinense.org>

but I think you want it do be test.mark.cinense.org
<http://mark.cinense.org>

And then your server ipaserver.test.mark.cinense.org
<http://ipaserver.test.mark.cinense.org>   makes sense.

The zone is the zone you are going to control by default, not the zone
you are joining....if that makes sense