[Freeipa-users] Setting up replication, documentation unclear regarding DNS entries

KodaK sakodak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:07:24 UTC 2012

I have two IPA servers.  The primary/master is SLPIDML01 and the
replica is SLPIDML01.  I have followed the instructions for creating a
replica and the install on SLPIDML02 completed successfully.  However,
the instructions tell me to add some entries to the DNS zone file, and
I'm stumped.

The FreeIPA documentation has this to say about setting up DNS for replicas:

Updating DNS for IPA Replicas

After you have configured a new IPA replica, you should update your
DNS entries so that IPA clients can discover the new server. For
example, for an IPA replica with a server name of $HOST, you should
add the following entries to your zone file:

_ldap._tcp             IN SRV 0 100 389	$HOST
_kerberos._tcp         IN SRV 0 100 88 $HOST
_kerberos._udp         IN SRV 0 100 88 $HOST
_kerberos-master._tcp  IN SRV 0 100 88 $HOST
_kerberos-master._udp  IN SRV 0 100 88 $HOST
_kpasswd._tcp          IN SRV 0 100 464 $HOST
_kpasswd._udp          IN SRV 0 100 464 $HOST
_ntp._udp              IN SRV 0 100 123 $HOST

I know very little about configuring DNS.  Where exactly should this
go?  It says to add it to your zone file, all I see is a
named.rfc1912.zones file, and it appears to be rather structured.  Do
I just dump these at the end?  That doesn't seem to make any sense.  I
see a reference to /var/named/example.com.zone.db, but I don't have
one for my domain, and I still don't know what the format of the file
should be.  Do I need to make entries for both hosts (and any others I
add in the future?)

Thanks,

--Jason