[Freeipa-users] client without certmonger/dbus

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 13:26:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 23:33 -0700, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Christoph Kaminski
> <christoph.kaminski at biotronik.com> wrote:
> > centos 6.2 inside vserver, but I dont know what OS is the host system.
> > (leased at heckrath.com)
>
> You can do a cat /proc/version inside your container to see what
> version of the kernel they are using. I'm guessing it is pretty old
> since that problem was solved some time ago as it caused problems with
> the operation of the container. If it is really old, you might want to
> see if they can migrate your container to a newer host node with an
> updated kernel. I haven't tried this on Redhat or CentOS using OpenVZ
> as I switched to KVM to take advantage of SELinux. Fedora 15 worked
> great on the 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.028stab089.1 kernel.
>
> I also looked at your provider's Website and saw that the largest
> container they offer is 512MB. I'll be very surprised if you can get
> FreeIPA to install inside a container with only 512MB. I had to use
> around 2GB just to get it to install. Once complete, then I was able
> to lower the memory to around 1GB. For some reason the install
> requires an enormous amount of RAM.

FWIW I regularly install FreeIPA in a VM with 768MB of ram allocated
(and some swap) and it is just fine for an install.
Granted there isn't much RAM left once FreeIPa is up and running (esp
with the PKI). For production I would recommend to stay around a few G
of RAM, as DS will use all the RAM it can for caches, and you also need
to run tomcat/java for the CA, which is another process that demands a
bit of RAM. Also using a few CPUs is not a bad idea at all.
While FreeIPA will work fine with one or 2 CPUs, having more will mean
the system will be more responsive when many clients hit it using a mix
of protocols (LDAP, KRB, DNS).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York