[Freeipa-users] Disaster Recovery Best Practices?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 19:23:52 UTC 2012

On 04/20/2012 11:47 AM, Rich Megginson wrote:

>>> That is the case when you use selfsigned cert but the preferred and
>>> default configuration is not with the self-signed certs. It was in the
>>> past but not any more. Currently when you install IPA and then replicas
>>> there is no difference between master and replicas (if you installed CA
>>> on the replica) so picking any one and recycling is possible. You won't
>>> loose anything.
>>
>> Can 389DS produce a full 'backup' in an LDIF of schema / objects
>> while running?
>
> While running - yes
>
> Here is a document that describes 389 database management:
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Populating_Directory_Databases.html
>
> Schema files can just be copied/tarred from /etc/dirsrv/slapd-*/schema
>
> The real question is - how does this work with IPA?

The problem is that there are config files, certificates in the NSS
database that also need to be backed up to be able to restore the system.
It is easy to just stand up a new replica  instead of the lost one than
to collect data and then try to restore.

>> -Brian

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IPA project,