[Freeipa-users] Simple question about replication promotion

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 12:31:04 UTC 2012

Rolf Brusletto wrote:
> Yeah, that probably wasn't very clear...
>
> Original - IPA instance w/ DNS, and no Dogtag
> Replica - IPA instance w/ DNS, and no Dogtag

The devil is always in the details. For user data yes, there is no
difference between the initially installed master and any others. It is
the CA where things get problematic.

In your case, where you used --selfsign when installing, your CA is only
on the initial master. You might want to take a look at section 18.8.2
here:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/FreeIPA_Guide/promoting-replica.html

If you try to run ipa-replica-prepare on your second master it will
refuse to do so because it lacks a CA. You need to fetch it from the
current master, or restore the PKCS#12 file you were warned to back up
after the initial installation. In your case you a lso need to create a
serial number file (if you don't have this you can always pick a new
starting value).

rob

> On 8/8/12 3:34 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Rolf Brusletto wrote:
>>> We had a rather severe issue last night on our primary IPA server(ver
>>> 2.2.0), but the replica is still happily plugging along, which very
>>> nice. My question is, there is very, very little I can do with the