[Freeipa-users] Fedora 17 FreeIPA Replica not starting up

bin.echo at gmail.com bin.echo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 07:26:30 UTC 2012

Hi Rich,

tombstone problem mentioned here:

http://danieljamesscott.org/documentation/12-troubleshooting/25-clean-tombstone-entries-from-freeipa-ldap-servers.html

I was seeing similar symptoms.

Mine is a new deployment so rather than monkey around trying to get an
install on a dirty machine to work, I simply reinstalled the entire OS
and changed the hostname of the replicant. The logs got blown away in
the process so I'm sorry I can't give you more info about the bug I
was getting.

The good news is, using exactly the same install options except for
the new hostname, and installing on to a pristine install of the OS,
everything now seems to work fine. So I'm not insane, as I was
beginning to believe I might be. There was some kind of issue with
attempting to install the replica on a machine where a previous
attempt at a replica had been uninstalled, but the next attempted
install keeps the same hostname.  I'm a noobie so I didn't get it
right on the first try.

I've noticed that trying to re-install clients with the same hostname
causes unexpected problems also. I realize that's not something done
every day but I wonder about cases where a machine is rebuilt and gets
the same hostname? That is a scenario that could realistically occur.

Again, I apologize for not having those logs to send. Hopefully it
will be smooth sailing from here on.

Next step, getting my back up and recovery strategy in place.

cheers,
-Aaron