[Freeipa-users] IBM Tivoli Identity Manager connector to manage IPA

Willem Bos whbos at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 24 06:21:50 UTC 2012

Hi Sylvian,

I'm not familiar with Tivoli but maybe it's able to generate HTTP
requests?  I recently did a proof-of-concept (with help from this
mailing list) to provision IPA with usernames/passwords. It's really a
re-write of a post from Adam Young
(http://adam.younglogic.com/2010/07/talking-to-freeipa-json-web-api-via-curl/)
and info from The IPA API documented at
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/browser/API.txt

In this procedure you should replace curl with Tivoli.

# Add the (IPA) account you want to use for provisioning to the
passSyncManagerDNs 'group' so that users that are created through
provisioning do not have to change their passwords at first login. In
this example I used 'admin' but you probably whant a dedicated user :
cat > add_passsync_manager.ldif << EOF
dn: cn=ipa_pwd_extop,cn=plugins,cn=config
changetype: modify
add: passSyncManagersDNs
passSyncManagersDNs: uid=admin,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=localdomain
EOF

ldapmodify -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -W -f add_passsync_manager.ldif

# Check :
ldapsearch -LLL -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -W -b
"cn=ipa_pwd_extop,cn=plugins,cn=config" -s base passsyncmanagersdns
passsyncmanagersdns: uid=admin,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=localdomain

# The .json file is the 'add user' request that Tivoli should generate.:
cat > add_user_test.json << EOF
{
  "method":"user_add",
  "params":[
    [],
    {
      "uid":"test",
      "givenname":"test",
      "sn":"test",
      "userpassword":"test"
    }
  ]
}
EOF

# Tivoli needs to be able to pass Kerberos credentials with the HTTP
request (the '--negotiate -u : ` part) :
kinit admin
curl -v \
  --header referer:https://<IPA_HOST>/ipa \
  --header "Content-Type:application/json" \
  --header "Accept:applicaton/json"\
  --negotiate -u : \
  --delegation always \
  --cacert /etc/ipa/ca.crt  \
  --data @add_user_test.json \
  --request POST https://<IPA_HOST>/ipa/json
…
        "summary": "Added user \"test\"",
…

# Check. The user should not be asked to change his password... :
kinit test

Regards,
Willem.