[Freeipa-users] Compiling and deploying ipa-pwd-extop in a 389DS

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 13:10:37 UTC 2012

Juan Asensio Sánchez wrote:
> Hi all
>
> First, I am not using FreeIPA, just 389 Directory Server; we have a
> large installation and we can not (now) migrate the entire service.
> But I would like to use free ipa-pwd-extop plugin to auto-generate the
> Samba equivalent passwords (not Kerberos). Is the plugin ready to be
> deployed in a non-IPA installation? Is there any documentation about
> how to compile and configure it (plugin arguments in the
> cn=ipapwd-extop,cn=pluins,cn=config)?
>
> We are using 389DS 1.2.5 in CentOS 5.5 i386.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance.

AFAIK we've never tried building the plugin outside our source tree.

The kerberos code is fairly well embedded. Extracting that would be a
bit of a challenge, though it may also mean you could exclude the files
from the top-level util subdir.

The configuration for the plugin can be found with the source in
pwd-extop-conf.ldif.

I think this it would take a lot of effort to get this workout outside
of IPA and Kerberos.

rob